Book of Life
The “Book of Life” application is a personal diary, containing life experiences, memories and thoughts, created by the elderly user through the SOCIABLE ICT platforms. Through the Book of Life, elderly users are able to share information about their life (e.g., photos, sounds) with other users. The book serves as both a collective memory and an individual memory.
The main objectives of this application are:
- To enhance self-concept and self-esteem, improve mood states, and prevent social isolation
- To find other users with the same kind of hobbies, interests, etc.
- To help the elderly to improve their communication capabilities and/or increase the number of their social contacts.
- It can be used as a trigger to encourage reminiscence of past events the elderly feel very comfortable to discuss, since these are the events that they most efficiently remember. These memories can be used by the medical expert to connect the past and the present.
It can be used to encourage verbal expression and discussion.
Each book has 4 different chapters, corresponding to different life stages (infancy, adolescence, adult, maturity). The application enables the customization of the content of the different chapters in the following way:
- The application presents a set of questions, related to the stage of the life selected, to trigger reminiscence. The elderly can answer the questions or write text related to them.
- The application presents a set of photos related to the stage of the life selected. The user can select the photos that are most meaningful to him. The user can introduce his personal photos.
The application presents a set of sounds related to the stage of the life selected. The user can select the sounds that are most meaningful to him. The user can introduce his personal sounds.
For each chapter the user has photos and sounds, but it is possible to include new ones provided by the user, or his relatives.
- Inclusion of augmented reality contents
- Option of recording voice instead of typing
- The user can find people with similar hobbies in the local BOL community.
- Appearance customization features
- The user can print selected chapters.
- Multiple recordings in a single chapter of the BOL
- Users are allowed to navigate across multiple chapters
- Users can add more recordings, while combinations of recordings and text are possible.
A video showing a session of Book of Life: